The companionship and love between father and child
The Aims of the Caddo Nation Indian Guides and Indian Princess Programs are based upon the Six Aims of the Ojibway, as related by Joe Friday and Harold Keltner. They are:
- Purity of Heart (Binideewin) – To be clean in body and pure in heart
- Friendship (Inawendiwin) – For Parents to always be friends with their children and for children to always be friends with their parents.
- Love My Whole Family (Sagiiwewin endashiian) – To love the sacred circle of my family.
- Listen With Attention (Nagasotawa) – To be attentive while others speak.
- Love Thy Neighbor (Sagiiwewin kidj’ anishinabe) – To love my neighbor as myself.
- Respect Earth (Dabandendamowin akki) – To seek and preserve the beauty of the Great Spirit’s work in the forest, fields and streams.
The Structure of Bear Creek Federation:
The Federation is the governing body of the Nations and Tribes. Leaders from each Nation are nominated to represent their Nations at the Federation Longhouse. The Federation is responsible for providing general guidance, standardization of programs, policies and procedures, and ensuring the longevity of the program.
The Nation is the governing body of the Tribes. Each Tribe Chief will represent their Tribe at the Nation Longhouse. Each Nation has at least one volunteer Nation Chief and frequently other Nation Officers as well. Nation events are a highlight of our program. All nations go on 3-4 overnights each year to nearby camping facilities. In addition, many organize other activities such as derby races, turkey shoots, dances, sports outings and more.
Tribes are the heart of the Indian Guides and Indian Princess Programs. Each participant is placed in a Tribe shortly after registering for the program. Most Tribes are organized by geographic location, but not limited to schools and age. Tribes consist of up to 12 father/child pairs and meet monthly throughout the school year at a time agreed upon by the Tribe members. Each Tribe has an Indian name and volunteer Tribal Chief; sometimes other volunteer officer positions are used as well.
Caddo Nation Longhouse Officers:
|Adam Bell||Nation Chieffirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Marc Sherrin||Asst. Chief/Pathfinderemail@example.com|
|Tim Holland||Medicine Manfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Joe Kelsey||Wampum Beareremail@example.com|
|Thomas Menini||Nation Elderfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Todd Samuels||Nation Elderemail@example.com|
|John Bergere||Trailblazers Chieffirstname.lastname@example.org|
AND NOW (index finger pointing to the ground)
MAY THE GREAT SPIRIT (index finger circling up to imitate smoke)
OF ALL GOOD SPIRITS (arms stretched wide)
BE WITH YOU (index finger pointing across the circle)
NOW (index finger pointing down)
AND FOREVER MORE (action of shooting a bow and arrow upward toward the sky)